« Home | Faith and Conflict » | Apologia » | Emergent Church 2 » | Open Theism and the Emergent Church » | Crazy Like a Fox » | What Are People Thankful For? » | God, Among Other Humans » | The Links That I Will Go To » | The Necessity of Biblical Authority » | Jesus, Friend of Fools? » 

Thursday, March 31, 2005 

Anglicans at LifeWay?

Today was a first for me. Here I was minding my own business at LifeWay and I run smack into an Evangelical Episcopalian. And not only was she an Evangelical, she is the president of the American Anglican Council for Kentucky and a huge supporter of the Anglican separatist movement in the U.S. To say the least, I left enlightened and encouraged about the future of Evangelical ecumenism.

First of all, it is strange to see an Episcopalian buying books at LifeWay -- especially Beth Moore's books. When she told me what church she was with, I immediately asked her about the recent conference held at the church which featured Alistair Begg. He is a Baptist pastor in Cleveland, OH who is known for his expository preaching and vigorous defence of Evangelical theology. It suprised me that they welcomed him to the church in the first place, so I was glad to finally get some answers about their intent. What she shared with me over the next 20 minutes was gold, pure gold.

She told me about how the laypeople of the Episcopal church as a rule are much more conservative and orthodox in their theology than are the clergy and that the battle that has been ensuing over the last three stemming from the installation of a practicing homosexual bishop is taking place not only within the dioceses, but within the individual churches as well. She also informed me that those involved in the separatist movement tend to be the only ones growing and having any influence in their communities. She pointed out that the largest Episcopal church in the nation, located in Plano, TX is led by an Evangelical pastor. Her pastor is an Evangelical as well, who has actually being mentored by Dr. Albert Mohler, president of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary here in Louisville.

As we ended our conversation she pointed out to me the great heritage of Anglicans -- men like J.I. Packer and C.S. Lewis who represent a past that is marked by orthodox theology and Evangelical engagement. I thought about our conversation for hours and couldn't wait to tell a couple of my co-workers about it. It is a great encouragement to see men and women standing for truth in a denomination trying so hard to run from it. At one point she likened the struggle the Episcopal church is having now with the conservative resurgence which took place before her eyes here in Louisville at Southern Seminary. As I thought about that I felt a certain amount of camaraderie with my Anglican brothers and I couldn't help but think that this was what Jesus had in mind when He prayed that His people would be one. We might not agree about everything, but at least we can appreciate one another's struggle to uphold Biblical truth, which is the only way we can be united -- in truth.

I hope that we as Evangelicals can continue to draw close to one another so that we might truly fulfill Christ's prayer for unity. In a religious world that calls us to false unity by throwing out our Biblical convictions, it is wonderful to be able to see how truth can really bring us together from different traditions. I pray that in the future days we will all see more of this fellowship and be able to praise God for it.

Until Christ is formed in all of us,
D.R.

cs lewis was an open theist

Stormin,

I would really love for you to show me that evidence in anything Lewis wrote. Or maybe you were just being tongue-in-cheek, which would be funny.

D.R.

Storminnormin,
CS Lewis was not an open theist, at least not to the fullest definition that is being presented lately...like DR, I think (hope) you were just being tongue in cheek, April Fools and all that,
what I wanted to add to the post was that the Episcopalian pastor in Farmington, New Mexico, is also evangelical, and conservative in his Theology. He is a good friend of ours and a true man of God.
and by the way, I'm not Aastor Art, I am his "rib" Maryellen, just navagating off his blog site right now.

Pastor Art "rib",

Thanks for stopping by. More great encouragement concerning Episcopalians. And thanks for reminding me about April fools day. I forgot all about it!

D.R.

Post a Comment

Links to this post

Create a Link

About me

Paul was not interested merely in the ethical principles of religion or of ethics. On the contrary, he was interested in the redeeming work of Christ and its effect upon us. His primary interest was in Christian doctrine, and Christian doctrine not merely in its presuppositions but at its centre. -- J. Greshem Machen.

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates